Sunday, May 23, 2010

Got Ethics?

There are many myths about PR professionals and PR in general, including the synonymous relationship between PR practitioner and publicist and the belief that anyone can do PR, which is partly based on the idea that majority of a PR practitioner’s work consist of writing and sending press releases. Some people even think that advertising and PR are the same. Fortunately, none of the myths are true.

Among those myths is the infamous assumption that PR professionals distort and spin the truth. While there are a few bad apples who tarnish the PR face, I have the utmost confidence that majority of upcoming, practicing, and retired PR professionals uphold to the highest ethical standards.

However, as a future PR professional, I worry about the day when I will be faced with an ethical decision. Will I make the right choice?

I stumbled upon a video on YouTube that soothed my worries. PRConversations had a chat with Peter Stanton, CEO of Stanton Communications. In the video he gave several ethics tips for new communications practitioners, which I found very helpful. Therefore, I want to share it with you. The video is below.





Before I end this blog post, I want to suggest that you follow PRConversations if you aren’t already. They regularly upload videos about current PR-related topics and news. They are another great media resource offering advice and information.

No comments:

Post a Comment